An exhaust fan has become a need of any Indian kitchen for proper ventilation. These fans are useful in expelling all kinds of awful odors, smoke fumes from the kitchen, and making the kitchen environment more healthy & breathable. It removes the heat from the kitchen and encourages continuous air circulation of fresh air inside the kitchen. For this, you need a good quality kitchen exhaust fan, which will keep your kitchen environment cool and also prevents foreign entities from entering into it. Here is a buying guide that will help you to choose some of the best kitchen exhaust fans for Indian cooking.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Choose the best Exhaust Fans for Indian cooking?
- 2 How to Clean Kitchen Exhaust Fan?
- 3 Best Kitchen Exhaust Fans for Indian Cooking
- 4 Kitchen Exhaust Fans – Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Conclusion
Most people think that all kitchen exhaust fans are of the same kind and work similarly. But that’s not true. Exhaust fans are area-specific, and that’s why you cannot install any type of exhaust fan in any part of your home.
Below, we have mentioned some factors that you should consider before purchasing an exhaust fan for a kitchen :
A regular 12 inches or 304.8 mm sized exhaust fans are suitable for expelling smoke and fumes from a small to medium-sized kitchen. However, larger-sized kitchen exhaust fans are mostly required for restaurants, industries, and factories’ kitchens. These large-sized exhaust fans are not wall-mounted but are ceiling mounted with entirely different rotation patterns.
An exhaust fan comes with two types of blade material- Metal & Plastic. For kitchen exhaust fans, the plastic blade material is better than metal ones. The metal blades get rusted easily and also make noise. On the other hand, plastic blades have a long-lasting, effective life and keep your surroundings noise-free. Compared to metal blades, plastic blades are much more comfortable to clean without getting tarnished easily.
A high-speed kitchen exhaust fan consumes high energy to run faster and hence causes more electricity bills. That’s why you should go with regular exhaust fans for normal household cooking purposes. However, if you want to purchase a kitchen exhaust fan for commercial purposes, you should choose a high-speed fan.
The sound level of exhaust fans depends upon the motor and fan spinner. Generally, a high-speed metal exhaust fan comes with a sound level of 74.3 dB. However, regular exhaust fans have a low sound level of approximately 60dB. If you are purchasing large exhaust fans for industrial usage or large kitchens in restaurants, then it’s okay if it causes a certain level of noise. However, if you want it for a residential kitchen, then it must have a noiseless fan.
Now, most modern kitchen exhaust fans come with an external guard or metal mesh’s safety feature. These external guards help prevent accidental contact of lizards or any other insect with the sharp moving blades of an exhaust fan. So, you should go for a kitchen exhaust fan, which has an automatic shutter or guard.
You should purchase an exhaust fan that is easy to clean. Too many exhaust fans are accessible in the market that works great yet are too hard to clean. So, search for an exhaust fan that works effectively but also not so difficult to clean.
All of the best kitchen exhaust fans for Indian cooking come within the price range of Rs 400 to 2000. You don’t need to spend more money than this price range.
You can clean a kitchen exhaust fan in too many different ways. Different exhaust fans require different structures to be cleaned. However, the process of cleaning remains the same. Here we have the most simple method of cleaning up a kitchen exhaust fan :
- Unplug the wire of an exhaust fan connected with the power source
- Now you need to detach the exhaust fan from its fixed place.
- Unscrew all the parts of exhaust from its sheath and mesh to its motor
Now clean all the parts one by one using the following process:
Never use water or anything wet to clean the motor. Instead, use a dry cloth to dust off all the dirt from the motor surface. Make sure you are not heating the motor in the process.
Points to remember while cleaning the different parts of an exhaust fan :
- No. of Blades: 5 blades
- Body material: High-quality plastic
- Power consumption: 35 watt
- Voltage: 220V to 240V
- Blade size: 200 mm
- Product dimension: 29.5 x 29.5 x 16.5 Cm
- Design: Modern & stylish
- It is one of the quietest & smooth exhaust fans.
- It comes with a two-year manufacturer warranty.
- Apart from kitchens, this exhaust fan is best for AC cabins, offices & conference rooms.
- Budget-friendly & worth the price.
- Suitable to small to medium-sized kitchen
- The speed of the fan is not so fast.
- It is not suitable for commercial & large-sized kitchens.
- Body Material: Metallic
- No. of Blades: 3
- Power consumption: 40 watt
- Product dimension: 29 x 29 x 20 Cm
- External Guard: 29 Spokes
- Noise level: 40 – 45 dB
- Havells is a well known & trusted brand in India.
- High-quality fan
- Consumes less electricity
- A bit noisy
- The suction force is not that good.
- No. of Blades: 5
- Product dimension: 12.1 x 9 x 6.5 Cm
- Power consumption: 40 watts
- Voltage: 230 V
- Sweep size: product is available in 150mm, 200mm, 250mm sweep size
- The exhaust fan comes with an automatic shutter.
- Sleek & stylish
- Comes with only one year warranty
- Runs at a lower RMP rate
- Body Material: Plastic
- Product dimension: 19.4 x 19.5 x 10.3 Cm
- Power consumption: 230 wattage
- Motor speed: 1800 RPM
- Its body is made of high-quality plastic.
- This exhaust fan is easy to clean.
- Simple to install
- It is appropriate to mount on glass windows.
- High durability
- A bit noisy
- Body material: Plastic
- No. of Blades: 5
- Product dimension: 7.5 x 7.5 x 36 Cm
- Sweep area: 250 mm
- Inbuilt safety grill
- Air delivery: 460 cu m/min
- Power consumption: 50 watt
- Fan speed: 2370 RPM
- Rust Proof body
- Easy to clean
- The product warranty is for 2 years.
- Not so budget-friendly
- A bit noisy
Usha, Crompton, and Havells are the most well-known brands of kitchen exhaust fans in India. There are too many other companies that produce superior, better quality, and smart technology exhaust fans in India. So, it is always better to do proper research and comparison before purchasing an exhaust fan.
An exhaust fan comes with a frame, motor, belts, and blades. To install an exhaust fan, you will require pliers, tester, spanner, and screwdriver tools. Now follow the following procedure :
- Firstly, fix the belts to the frame on all four sides. In the middle of these four blades, set the exhaust fan’s motor with nuts and bolts.
- Now take pliers and check that the bolts are tight and properly secured. After that, attach the exhaust fan blades with the motor. Now connect the capacitor to the motor terminal for electrical supply.
- Once again, check that all the parts are properly attached. Then, fix the exhaust fan to a suitable place using a drilling machine.
The best place to install an exhaust fan is on the top section of your kitchen wall, just where you place the stove so that the fumes and heat produced inside the kitchen will directly move out through the exhaust fan and keep the kitchen properly ventilated.
You may also like:
- How to choose table top wet grinders in India
- How to choose best Induction Cooktop
- How to use Induction Stove (Beginners Guide)
Just like too many other appliances, an exhaust fan is another essential appliance for any Indian kitchen. That’s why you shouldn’t buy it in a hurry and compare at least 2 to 3 different brands of kitchen exhaust fans and then decide to purchase the best exhaust fan for the kitchen. Further, this guide will surely help you to choose the best exhaust fan for your kitchen.
As per our research & testing, we found this Luminous Vento Deluxe 9 inches or 200 mm Blade Size Exhaust fan worth to recommend. It is one of the best available kitchen exhaust fans for Indian cooking with all the excellent features you may need in an exhaust fan.